Monday, February 10, 2014

Ham and Macaroni Soup, with Egg 港式火腿通心粉

Thin strips of ham over macaroni soup - do you find this combo. of ingredients weird?  Ham and macaroni soup, a Western-style dish typically served as breakfast in Hong Kong, and often found in Hong Kong-style tea cafes 茶餐厅.


My hb who always enjoys home-cooked chicken macaroni soup strangely finds the combination (of plain macaroni in saltish broth topped with a few thin strips of ham) weird. However, it was surprising that  when I cooked a similar breakfast dish at home one day, he finished it all in no time!

He gave in to hunger pangs, it must be. Or maybe that fried egg and some green vegetables did the "wholesome" trick. But I should give myself some credit. This CAN be quite a warm comforting breakfast especially in the winter mornings.



The reason I am re-creating this today is because I wanted something different for breakfast; and since I have some leftover rosemary ham that I used for sandwich the other day, I might as well.

Ham and Macaroni Soup, with Egg 火腿通心粉
Boil some macaroni, drain and set aside in individual servings. Blanch some green vegetables (Bok Choy, Baby Bok Choy, Gai Lan preferred), then set aside with the macaroni in the same bowl.

Reheat homemade chicken stock/broth (Note: leftover homemade chicken stock/broth will definitely save you a lot of time, especially in the span of rush-hour breakfast, as it flavors up this dish really fast and superbly well), making sure it comes to a rolling boil, then ladle the chicken broth over the macaroni and vegetables.

Serve with thinly sliced ham (Note: If possible, find yourself some good quality sliced deli meats e.g. Applegate Oven-Roasted Turkey Breasts) and/or an egg (your choice of fried egg, sunny-side up or hard-boiled)


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest: Hong Kong + Macau , hosted by Annie from Annielicious Food.

Sharing this with Souper Sunday and Hearth and Soul

Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook